1. Preliminary discussions
8 to 12 months before the recognition assessment
- Inform WFME of your intention to apply for recognition as an accrediting agency, giving your preferred timing – the year and which half of the year.
- You should take into consideration the following activities that the WFME recognition team will observe:
- a site visit where you conduct an accreditation review of one medical school and associated clinical training sites.
- a meeting where you make an accreditation decision on one or more medical schools.
The WFME Secretariat completes an initial review of your eligibility for recognition assessment and informs you of its decision.
- There is a non-refundable fee of $1000 for this initial assessment.
- If the Secretariat considers you ineligible, it will confirm this with the WFME Recognition Committee, and you will then be informed.
2. Recognition submission
2 to 8 months before the recognition assessment
The WFME Secretariat confirms that you have the most up-to-date templates and assessment documents.
- You may begin to complete the application for recognition.
- If there are points needing clarification contact the Secretariat.
- The Secretariat agrees a recognition plan with you, including a schedule for events and site visits.
- The Secretariat invoices you for the application fee. This is normally $29,000 – half the full fee, less the initial assessment fee of $1000.
3. Appointment of team members
2 to 5 months before the recognition assessment
The WFME Secretariat chooses three qualified recognition team members, making sure there is no conflict of interest.
- You will have an opportunity to comment on the team members.
- The WFME President makes the final decision on the team composition and team roles.
- The WFME Secretariat ensures that all team members have completed the induction programme and signed the participation agreement.
4. Submission of application
1 to 2 months before recognition assessment
Submit the completed application forms to the WFME Secretariat.
- The forms should be completed in English and submitted electronically as a searchable PDF, with links to attachments.
- You do not need to send hard copies in advance, but you must make the submission documents and major supporting evidence available to team members when they begin their site visits.
- The Secretariat makes sure the application is complete and all necessary documents have been submitted, then distributes electronic copies of the application and related documents to the recognition team members.
5. Final arrangements
1 to 2 months before the recognition assessment
Finalise the arrangements with the WFME Secretariat for the recognition team’s visit to observe the accreditation review and decision-making meeting.
- You must organise and pay for the agenda of site visits, accommodation and local travel. The Secretariat will organise the necessary international travel.
- Submit to the Secretariat the agenda and itinerary for the activities being observed, and any additional information requested by the recognition team, to the Secretariat.
- Pay the second instalment of the application fee: $30,000, plus international travel costs.
- Provide any outstanding documents to the WFME Secretariat.
- 2 to 4 weeks before the site visits the Secretariat will provide information about the schedule and travel arrangements to the recognition team.
6. The recognition assessment
The WFME recognition team observes:
- the site visit where you conduct an accreditation review of one medical school and associated clinical training sites.
- the meeting where you make an accreditation decision on one or more medical schools.
7. The recognition report
0 to 2 months after the recognition assessment
The WFME recognition team drafts the recognition report and quality improvement recommendations. The WFME Secretariat approves these and forwards them to you.
- You may identify any inaccuracies in the draft report within the agreed time.
- The recognition team evaluates your response and makes any necessary amendments before making their final report.
8. The recognition decision
2 to 6 months following the assessment
The WFME Secretariat sends the final recognition report to you and to members of the Recognition Committee for their decision.
- The Recognition Committee makes a decision, based on section D of the WFME Policies and Procedures.
- Within 30 days of the decision, the WFME President will advise you by letter of the outcome, and include any further relevant information.
- If the decision is positive, WFME will publish the decision on its website.
- If negative, following any appeals or time having elapsed according to section D of the WFME Policies and Procedures, WFME will publish the decision on its website.
- The Secretariat will make the decision known to relevant medical education directories.
- The Secretariat will send you the evaluation.
- You must send the completed recognition process evaluation to the Secretariat.
- A blank evaluation form can be found on the WFME website.
9. Follow up
Any deficiencies in compliance with recognition criteria must be addressed promptly. You have a maximum of eighteen months from the date of the notice of the outcome to achieve full compliance.
Two years after the date of recognition, the WFME Secretariat will send a status report form to you.
- Recognised agencies must complete a status report every two years for the duration of the recognition term.
- There is a blank status report form on the WFME website.
- The Secretariat will act on information provided in the status reports.
- WFME policy requires that recognised accrediting agencies report on any significant changes to policies and processes affecting its compliance with recognition criteria.
- You should contact the Secretariat about the process for reporting these changes.